The Berkeley Carroll School (Brooklyn, NY) – Middle School Technology Integrator. August 2019-Present.
At the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year, I stepped into a full-time position as the Middle School Technology Integrator at The Berkeley Carroll School. With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, my job became integral in facilitating, and managing remote school – both by supporting educators in learning new ways of teaching, and by helping students navigate a new way of learning online.
- Remote learning support & implementation
- Faculty Development:
- EdTech tool implementation
- Best practices for using technology in the classroom
- Standardized use of Google Classroom, Google Calendar
- Ethical video streaming
- Interdisciplinary curricular support for effective integration of technology into the classroom
- Daily tech support for students and faculty (iPads 5/6th Grade; Chromebooks 7th/8th Grade)
- 5th & 8th Grade Digital Essentials teacher – a class responsible for teaching digital literacy and technology skills
- Middle School Advisor
- Elective Teacher: pickling; typing; student newspaper; podcasting; Mock Newbery
- First Generation Affinity group facilitator
- Middle School Equity & Inclusion Coordinator
The Berkeley Carroll School (Brooklyn, NY) – Middle School Library Assistant. August 2018 – August 2019.
Please see my School Library Projects page for a photo blog of book displays, programming ideas, and more library fun that I was responsible for during my time as the Library Assistant. This page is directly embedded from my Manu the Librarian tumblr! More library projects can be found on my Academic & Professional Projects page.
- Supervision of students in the Middle School library (grades 5-8)
- Creation of library programming, and assistance with library electives (including the Mock Newbery 2019 elective)
- Curriculum development, and implementation of a Reading Engagement Bingo project (6th grade Humanities)
- Curriculum development, and implementation of a new gender and sexual identity unit (6th grade Science)
- Creation of two original LibGuides: A 6th Grade Reading Bingo Libguide, and a First-Generation Affinity Group LibGuide
- Management of numerous school LibGuides, including subject-specific guides, as well as guides to the library
- Research assistance with various departments and grades
- Ongoing management of patron records
Pratt Institute Library (Brooklyn, NY) – Technical Services & Collection Development Graduate Assistant. January 2018 – December 2019.
- Independently worked on a large collection management project of the print architecture collection, including de-duping, assessment, and physical processing of materials (project selected for presentation at 2020 AASL Conference)
- Primarily responsible for an extensive, library-wide weeding project, including deaccessioning titles from library’s LMS (Sierra) and OCLC, physically discarding a large volume of materials, and assessment of certain materials
- Basic technical service duties for library materials: including addition of tattle tape; printing and adhering new call numbers; changing item status
- Student thesis copy cataloging
Pratt Institute (New York, NY) – ‘Exploring Data Worlds at the Public Library’ Research Assistant. January 2018 – December 2019.
- Created a Children’s Librarianship LibGuide (published by Pratt Institute Libraries)
- Wrote a literature review on youth data literacy in public libraries, to be included in an upcoming publication
- Data management and organization for an IMLS-funded project on youth data literacy (supervised by Dr. Leanne Bowler, Pratt Institute)
- Open, and selective coding of memos for previously facilitated youth data literacy workshops
- Co-facilitated a workshop on using open data sets, and presented research findings at “Fun With Data: Planning After-School Data Activities For Teens” workshop (part of NYC Open Data Week)
Luna Dance Institute (Berkeley, CA) – Librarian. 2015-2016.
- Created a specialized cataloging system for a private library within a dance institute, in which materials included books, articles, and video resources
- Fixed flawed records containing bibliographic information for journal articles, and uploaded the corrected records to a searchable LibraryThing database
- Trained dance faculty on library procedures